The discussion of Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 leads me to think of the
signature line used by an LM_NET colleague many years ago, when
LM_NET about a third of the size it is now.  I wish I could recall
the person's name, in order to give credit, but sadly, it is too long
ago.  She/he reassured us that, "Computers will never replace
librarians." and then went on to finish the quote with, "Librarians
who understand computers will."

I think, in many ways and many places, this is beginning to come
true.  On LM_NET today, we are seeing a continuum from those who
embrace the new technology and encourage us to explore, to those who
still put a premium on the skills and tasks of the traditional
librarian. Our differing priorities sometimes provoke a rather heated
discussion (While hopefully keeping things respectful).  Then I think
of the whole rest of the library world out there who may not even
belong to LM_NET because they have rejected the technologies altogether.

I don't really even know where I am going with this, other than to
wonder what thoughts it provokes that you might like to share.

Gail Smith, NBCT
Librarian & Tech Facilitator
Edison Regional Gifted Center - Chicago, Illinois
gsmith@edison.cps.k12.il.us