If you are in the NYC metropolitan area you probably have seen the
television ad for 102.7 radio.  In the commercial a woman is looking for the
ideal radio station.  She tries the top 40 station and she changes into a
teenager and bemoans that it is too loud.  She tries the classic rock
station and turns into .. what else.. a librarian and the voice over says
"boring".  The ad uses the image of a librarian to denote boring.

Silly as this may seem, it is just another subliminal message of the
unimportance of libraries and librarians.  102.7 is owned by CBS radio and I
called to discuss the matter with the VP for Communications.  Her
explanation was that they wanted to show the quiet nature of classic rock
stations and decided to use a librarian.  When I mentioned the voice over
said boring,  she sent me to the general manager of the station declaring
this was a local issue.  I was told that the general manager will give me a
call on Friday.

As librarians we are constantly trying to tell our story and to convince
people that we aren't boring but important part of every community.  I think
that all librarian should contact the station and/or CBS radio to let them
know that we don't need the negative image of librarians.  Instead we need
their help in creating the support for all libraries in New York.

If you would like to let the station know that you are a librarian and
aren't happy with their add the contact information is below:

*102.7  WWFS*
**
*Maura Mason*
*General Manager *
*Fresh 102.7 FM*
*888 7th Avenue - 10th Floor*
*New York, NY 10106*
**
*212-489-1027   or 1-877-649-1027*
**
*or you can text your message to - 21027  the website for the station is
http://www.fresh1027.com/*
**
**
*CBS Radio*
**
**
*Joel Hollander*
*Chairman*
*CBS Radio *
*1515 Broadway*
*New York, NY 10036*
**
*212-846-3939*
**
**
*Let's make CBS Radio library supporter!*
**
*Rocco Staino*
*Director Keefe Library *
*North Salem Central Schools*