There's an article in the lastest issue of Newseek called "Fourth-Grade
Slump."  (p. 47)  There's a useful statistic if you are looking to
increase or justify your budget or if you're looking to promote an SSR
program.  I like to collect these tidibits because you never know when one
might come in handy!  As someone whose budget underwent a drastic cut this
year I need more ammo!  The article says that fourth grade is a turning
point for many kids.  A 2006 survey by Scholastic found that 40% of kids
age 5 through 8 read every day.  By fourth grade it drops to 29%.  "Kids
need to use a wide range of reading materials--nonfiction and expository
writing--and lots of vocabulary words."

Lisa Nocita, LMS
lnocita@barstowschool.org
The Barstow School