Yesterday, for Valentine's Day, I read Diane DeGroat's book "Roses are Pink,
Your Feet Really Stink" to my classes. After the story we spent a good deal
of time talking about the power of words and how easy it is to hurt someone
with them. I also made sure the bring up the point that kind words can be
just as powerful. I told them this true story: when I was in first grade
(over 40 years ago) we were coloring butterflies at our desks when one of my
classmates, John, came by my desk and said, "Wow! Yours is really good!" I
told the boys and girls that over 40 years later I still remember that kind
comment and how proud it made me feel.
Later, one of the first grade boys (who had a very serious expression on his
face and seemed to have been thinking about this ever since returning to the
classroom) went up to his teacher and said, "Mrs. X, if that boy made Mrs.
Grigsby feel so good about her butterfly, why didn't she become an artist
instead of just a librarian?" Cute.

--
Susan Grigsby, Teacher-Librarian
Tate Elementary School