Hello,
I got a lot of responses- most people mentioned wordless
picture books as a great way to have students observe, and then
infer what was happening in the pictures. Thank you so much for
all of your responses! The teacher was very happy. My original
post is at the bottom.

Here are some specific titles and authors:

I have used the Diane DeGroat books successfully for lessons on
inference.

Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Van Allsburg

Zoom by Istvan Banyai is excellent for observing and making
predictions.

How about Mark Teague’s Dear Mrs. LaRue, (Scholastic, 2002)
for one of them?  The pictures tell one story (the bad behavior
of a dog in obedience school) while the letters tell quite
another!

The new Caldecott "Flotsam" by David Wiesner would be perfect!
(Lots of votes for this one!)

http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id6

What about using an actual wordless book like The Red Book?
Some of
David Wiesner's and Chris Van Allsburg's titles (Tuesday and The
Mysteries of Harris Burdick, respectively) might do as well

A good book is The Snowman by Raymond Briggs.  The book has no
words so the students use the pictures to fill in what the
characters are doing or saying; therefore, they would be
observing the pictures and inferring their actions, thoughts,
feelings, and words.  I used this book with one of my 7th grade
classes and it was great some of the actions, feelings,
thoughts, and dialogue that they came up with.  Another
wordless picture book is Froggy Goes to Dinner.  The author is
on the tip of my tongue.  Wordless picture books are great for
doing those activities.  Those are two of my favorites.  Hope
this helps.

Clown by Quentin Blake

Three Topsy-Turvy Tales by Anne Brouillard

Also, one could do searches for "wordless books" and get a lot
of choices.

I did a wonderful lesson in conjunction with a 6th grade
English teacher. I
read the students Avi's picture book _Silent Movie_.  We then
watched the
silent movie "The Immigrant". The other teacher then took them
back to their
classroom and they discussed inference using clues from the
silent movie we
had watched.

the stranger by Chris Van allsburg is a good one for inferring

I was also sent an inference organizer and booklist by a
helpful librarian- I can pass that along if she doesn't mind.

 Lauren Rotman <lauren.rotman@GOCRUISERS.ORG> writes:
Hello!
A teacher at my school is going to be observed teaching a
lesson on inferring and observing. Does anyone have suggestions
of books that he could use? Something along the lines of a
picture book where the students would have to infer from the
pictures what the characters were doing/going to do. This
lesson is for the 5th graders, but books on a lower level would
be fine too.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren Rotman
Librarian, Sedalia Elementary