Hello All,

My son is a junior at a university where they have 12 residential colleges,
each with its own library of several thousand volumes. Most volumes are old,
they are not a circulating libraries, there are no librarians, but they
(mostly my son and another student) have made an effort recently to catalog
all the books and reinvigorate their residential library.

He now has been given approximately $3800.00 to spend to add to the
collection and is asking for recommendations.

He's thinking of current releases by public figures, such as Obama's book
and the Yale Book of Quotations, both of which I've recently purchased for
him personally and that he thinks would make good additions to the
collection.

Do you have any suggestions, both in terms of current titles (possibly but
not necessarily related to the upcoming election) and also just in terms of
titles that you think should be in a library such as this one. Again, there
is no circulation (I'm not sure if that will change - they may institute an
honor system of some type if they get books that someone actually wants to
borrow). It is a place where students go to study and maybe browse a litte.

I thought he should have a good dictionary, such as Webster's Third, even
though most of them use online dictionaries, I'm sure. I was also thinking
of The World Almanac and Book of Facts. And I think it would be great for
them to have the OED, but I'm not sure they're willing to spend that kind of
money on the one source. Maybe some info. on graduate schools, tests, etc.?
I'm also thinking of history books (if there are any) related to the
residential college and maybe the town they're in. Maybe some books written
by the Master and Dean of the residential college - or past Masters and
Deans?

Keep in mind that the main university library is right around the corner.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sarah Woo
MS Librarian
Danvers, MA  01923