Hello, all

I've been given the task of organizing and developing a library for a small private
school, grades pre-k - 1. Essentially what we have now are books in a room. They
are on shelves, but not organized or cataloged in any way. There is no automation.
The good news is it is a very small collection - under 1000 books. I don't think I
will bother to catalog the current collection as they are mostly paperback or board
books, and not great ones at that. I will begin cataloging as the new ones we will
eventually order come in. Anyhow, I have some questions that maybe you all can help
me with. I've searched the archives and haven't found the answers to these:

·                  Do you recommend any automation/circ software systems a small
library/school can use? Is there life beyond Follett, or do they have a good
product for this scenario? What is best for small, private school libraries; what
have you found to be successful?
·                  What vendors/companies have you found to have the best quality
books/binding, with reasonable prices for a small private school library budget?
·                  What “must have” books would you order for a very small
private school library, in the categories of nonfiction (series?), reference, and
multi-cultural? Keep in mind we have very limited space - maybe 100 sq. ft. 01915411

My prior experience is with very large, fully-automated public school libraries;
this is unchartered water for me. Thanks in advance,

Rita Mayer MS, MLS
Librarian / Consultant
Miami, FL
mediamayer@aol.com
Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools,
free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail
and more.