I have also sent this to the editors of the NYT.

I must say, I rather resent this being cast as "librarians [pledging] to ban the
book...."  There is no mention of the role of an elementary school librarian.
There is no mention of "serving our community."  Especially as I was quoted simply
as saying I would not stock the book, I'd appreciate some understanding of our
situations.

In the first place, my elementary school library exists to support the curriculum
of the school.  That is its main purpose.  Definitely, part of that is fostering a
love of reading, but in a library of only about10,000 volumes, and an annual budget
of $4000, it's hardly "censorship" to pick and choose where that money is spent.
Add to that, that out of 640 students, all but about 90 are under ten years old,
how much sense does it make to spend $20 on a book that so few will read? And given
the extremely conservative nature of the families of my patrons, why on earth would
I seek to offend them?

The fact that a book is a Newbery Award winner means that a group of educated
people has deemed the book worthy of an award.  It does NOT mean that it is the
only fine example of children's literature published in the last year.  I have not
stocked the last three Newbery Award winners because they are not appropriate for
the patrons of my library, NOT because I am interested in banning books.  Newbery
Award status is only one criterion by which to judge a book.  In my opinion,
purchasing a book because of a single award is a lot sillier than banning a book
because it is not appropriate for one's patrons; in fact, I would consider it
highly irresponsible.

Wendy Stoll, Librarian
Smyrna Elementary School
Louisville, KY
Wendy40@aol.com
Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools,
free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail
and more.