  As I was thinking about this issue of challenged books and censorship, I realized
that there were some resources I should share with LM-netters. Of course, most of
you might already be familiar with these sources. The American Library Association
has much information on dealing with book challenges. Two slim, but useful ALA
publications are Hit List For Children 2: Frequently Challenged Books published in
conjunction with the Office for Intellectual Freedom of the American Library
Association and Hit List For Young Adults 2: Frequently Challenged Books published
in conjunction with YALSA. Published in 2002, both of these books contain
rationales for frequently challenged books on the children's level and the young
adult level. The Young Adult book also contains important bibliographies on topics
of challenged books and intellectual freedom, along with tips for dealing with
censorship and selection, how to write a book rationale, a copy of the ALA Library
Bill of Rights, an!
 d the NCTE's Freedom to Read.

 The NCTE, National Council of Teachers of English, has two CDs available for
purchase--Rationales for Challenged Books and Rationales for Challenged Books,
Volume 2. These CDs deal primarily with middle school and high school titles and
each CD contains rationales for over 100 frequently challenged titles. Rationales
are important to have in dealing with any challenge. We have to be able to defend a
book's value. According to the Hit List for Young Adults, a book rationale should
consist of the following information: "summary of content, use of content in
educational setting or as recreational reading, awards and honors won by the book,
reviews of the book, potential objections to the book, and alternative works which
might be read in place of this book" (p. 58). If we are to fight for a book's right
to be on the shelf, we must be prepared with the documentation to do so.

 Kathy Reel
 Former English/Writing Teacher
 New Librarian Looking for Job
 Owensboro, KY

Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools,
free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail
and more.