From: rasmone101@ALLTEL.NET
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] AOL & "Lucky"

I have been hesitant to join in this discussion; I am often on the minority
side of such debates, and my comments may or may not serve the purpose or
intent that I wish.  I do feel strongly, however, that calling an anatomical
part by its correct, scientific name is a positive statement for education
and intelligence, instead of a negative one.  I would feel the same way if
the body part had been the clavicle or the patella.  Sixth through eighth
grade students are not too young to know and use the correct scientific
names for things.  Whether or not the scrotum of the dog (based on an actual
occurrence, I believe I read) was the ideal choice of a first page incident
is obviously open for (much) debate.  I, personally, do not have a problem
with it.  I have more concern over the absentee (although, ultimately
financially responsible) character of the father or the "lost," unsupervised
wanderings of small children in a horrible storm.  My initial impulse would
be to shelve this book in our K-8 library.  However, I teach at a Catholic
school, and therefore, feel the responsibility to consult my principal for
input and discussion and probably, ultimately, follow her directive.  I
would hope that we are in agreement.  I realize that may be a compromise of
my principles, but I am experienced enough to know that there are many ways
to bring information, literature, and education into children's lives.  I
think the Newbery book has many redeeming qualities, and I hope none of us
have to base our selection choice for our own libraries on the use of one
word.

Janelle Quick Simon
Librarian
Christ the King School