Here's my original post:
We are looking to purchase a set of earbuds for each student in the school
(to use when they come to computer lab or for class listening centers).  I
thought I remembered a discussion on LM NET within the last year about
places to purchase in bulk inexpensive ear buds (or earphones).  I searched
the archives but couldn't find any postings.  Does anyone have source?
here are the responses I got:

I haven't done comparison shopping, but purchased 50 sets for $39.50 from
Follett through
their titlewave site-- www.titlewave.com
----------------------------------

We have used AVantage headphones for a couple of years. They seem to wear
well. Of course student abuse creates the usual problems! We purchase them
from The Library Store www.thelibrarystore.com They are available with or
without volume control. Each headphone is in a Ziploc-type of bag.

Charlotte, you can buy them from Follett.  They are $39.50 for 50 sets or
$72.50 for 250 (probably more what you need).  I had trouble finding them
in Follett but if you type in "earbuds" and search All of Titlewave, you
should find them.

I would buy the ones that Follett is selling for their Playaway units.
THey are about 73 cents each and you purchase in a pack of 50.  We are
reselling them in our middle school for $1 and putting them in a
zippered sandwich size freezer bag with the white label strip on it.  We
write the student name on the bag.  If the earbuds are left somewhere
outside the bag we throw them away for sanitary reasons but if the
student leaves the labeled bag somewhere we can return the earbuds to
the student.  Some student have their own earbuds from ipods etc.  that
they use instead but everyone can get a set from our circ desk when they
need them.

Look in your local dollar store.

I bought 50+ sets at a discount store (Dollar Tree here) about a year
ago for $.50 a piece.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded!

Charlotte

Charlotte Lesser
Director of Elementary Library Services
Monadnock Regional School District