Liz Frame <fourefs@sbcglobal.net> wrote:    Fair warning: I am home ill today with
a fever of 101 degrees, and it's been a month since I read Lucky. However, the
thought I recalled last night was that this descriptive and anatomically correct
word SCROTUM did not seem to fit conversation of the 12-step character who
supposedly said it.

  Remember? Lucky is overhearing a 12-step meeting in which participants reveal
their lowest moments. The character (don't remember his name) is talking about a
time when he is so drunk, he is unable to deal with his dog's most pressing need of
assistance. The drunk men I've been around usually do not choose to use
anatomically correct words. And as this character is sharing the lowest moment of
his life, he would also probably use the language and words he thought of from that
moment, to reveal the depth of his degradation. Basically, it just didn't ring true
to me.

  I will not be including this selection in our collection, but not due to using
"naughty language". I really was not impressed by it, as I was by Clementine,
Edward Tulane, Flotsam, John, Paul, George and Ben, Moses, and other memorable 2006
characters. I have a budget of $4000 for 12 months' worth of books, supplies,
bookmarks, awards and incentives, book repair, magazines, reference material,
listening centers . . . the list goes on and on, as it does for all of us. This is
my working definition of collection selection, not collection censorship.

  Blessings to you and yours today,

  Liz Frame
  Librarian
  San Antonio Christian Elementary School