Well,

It looks like Librarian bashing is full on all over the country. What
really concerns me is the fact that our discussions on this listserv,
discussions which are fully within our freedom of speech, are being
focused on in this whole ordeal. I VALUE LM_NET as a place to
converse with all of the colleagues I am unable to see and perhaps
will never meet. Out of 16,000 (?) members, how many actually said in
a post "I am banning this book"? How many actual libraries have the
reporters visited to see if the book is being "banned" there? Aren't
our conversations on this list a place where we can share ideas,
agree to disagree, and ultimately connect with other librarians about
the important issues in our field? Personally I have enjoyed the
discussion and I know that when I get my copy of Lucky I will most
likely pay more attention to what I am reading and the value of the
book as a whole. In this professional setting we should be able to
voice our opinions and discuss with one another without worrying
about how our words are going to be used by outsiders to portray our
profession.

For those who are so vehemently criticizing school librarians...I
would like to invite them to take a look at our profession as whole,
see what we do on a daily basis, and then report on us in the
newspapers. I can imagine that the picture they paint then would be
far different. Every day we foster a love of reading in our students.
Every day we introduce them to all sorts of new and wonderful
literature, and in some way, every day we touch lives. Through our
programming (including in many schools a display of "banned books"
and a discussion of freedom of speech and reading during banned books
week), collection development, and presence in schools we are
constant champions of books and literacy.

That is my two cents....

Sara Darling
Lower School Librarian
St. Agnes Academy - St. Dominic School