This is very long HIT. Here are the responses I got from my request of information
about Vocabulary Strategies/Programs/Word Lists/Assesments for 9-12 Education. I
made a webliograhy of things I found myself, and added all the suggestions from
LM_NETers :-) Thanks to all who contributed to my request.

Pia Alliende

Building Background Knowledge for Academic Achievement by Robert Marzano. It has
leveled vocabulary by subject area (level 1 - basic words) there are four levels of
words as well as strategies for effective instruction - as well as the background
research.

We have implemented a school-wide vocab strategy as part of our NCA school
improvement process. A quick search of ERIC will yield several articles on the
importance of vocabulary, especially as it relates to reading.  That is our focus,
using vocab as a reading strategy.  With the current interest and emphasis on
reading at the secondary level, there is a lot of info out there. We have a
Unitedstreaming subscription and used one of the professional development videos
describing and modeling the use of a Concept Definition Map.  This is an
interesting vocab choice because it requires students to activate prior knowledge,
make inferences, and create a definition in their own words. All reading strategies
and higher-level thinking for a vocab strategy.

We do a word of the day in 9-12 only from books in our all-school read.

Then at noon the principal reads a sentence using that word (that I have written
and sent to him).  Students put the sentence in a box in the library and the person
whose sentence is drawn out of the box wins a simple prize. We do this every day.

Reader's Digest has a vocabulary challenge program you can purchase and set up
similar to a spelling bee.  It has lesson plans, vocab tests, etc.  The final
competition is in New York City and has $10,000, $15,000 and $25,000 scholarship
prizes.  That is motivation for a lot of kids.  I have organized the program the
last two years in my elementary school. It has several different grade levels.   It
cost about $35-$40 a year for the program.

I am thinking of implementing a vocab program at the MS level, something along the
lines

of A Word a Day or A Word a Week.

here's a great site: http://wordsmith.org/awad/index.html
<http://wordsmith.org/awad/index.html>

you can sign up to receive the word of the day via email.  Very popular.  It goes
to people all over the world.  the author has now published a couple of books you
might email him for suggestions on vocab research?  His name is Anu Garg there have
definitely been links posted in the weekly comments for vocab sites, I just don't
remember them offhand.

Also, Richard Lederer is a linguist, lecturer, teacher and author who writes about
language.  He's very funny.  His books include some games and activities with
language you might be able to use.  My own kids howled with laughter at Anguished
English.

There are two books out that you might want to look at, although they seem to me to
be a bit limited:

          _100 words every high school freshman should know_

          _100 words every high school graduate should know_

They were published by Houghton Mifflin in 2003 & 2004.

Vocabulary Strategies/Programs 9-12 Education

            A Webliography    Last updated February 21, 2007

by  Pia Alliende| pia.alliende@redmond.k12.or.us <mailto:piedad@alliende.org>

This webliography is divided in four categories:
   I. Articles, books, and presentations related to vocabulary strategies and
development
    II. Word Lists
    III. Vocabulary Tests
    IV. Language Sites Links, Games, Puzzles, Strategies and Much More

    I. Articles, books, and presentations related to vocabulary strategies,
        and development

*       100 Words Every Every High School Freshman Should Know by the Editors of
The American Heritage Dictionaries Houghton Mifflin (April 7, 2004). ISBN-13:
978-0618443796

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618443797/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9335193-2076817?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2GU99TU4XLIW0&colid=2I54CQU5M2KL7

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618443797/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9335193-2076817?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2GU99TU4XLIW0&colid=2I54CQU5M2KL7>

        Above is the Amazon link

        100 Words Every High School Graduate Should Know
        by the editors of The American Heritage Dictionaries. Houghton Mifflin (May
5, 2003) ISBN-13: 978-0618374120

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618374124/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9335193-2076817?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3UKFD5N40QYA4&colid=2I54CQU5M2KL7

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618374124/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9335193-2076817?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3UKFD5N40QYA4&colid=2I54CQU5M2KL7>

        Above is the Amazon link

*       BBC|British Council: Teaching English-Vocabulary Articles
        http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/vocabulary.shtmll
<http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/think/vocabulary.shtml>
        On these pages you will find links to articles connected with the teaching
of vocabulary provided by the BCC | British Council.

*       Dancing with Words: Helping Students Love Language Through Authentic
Vocabulary Instruction by Judith Rowe Michaels. National Council of Teachers of
English, 2001. Full Text available through ERIC ED 458 595.

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2/content_storage_01/0000000b/80/0d/90/fc.pdf
        This book argues for a deeper, richer view of vocabulary than the standard
images conjured up by that word--worksheets, weekly quizzes, and anxieties about
standardized test scores. The book invites teachers and students to experience "the
music of words," words in isolation and in juxtapositions, and urges them to bring
their own life experiences to language, showing in turn how language can help them
know that experience more fully. It demonstrates how to build a community in the
classroom where curiosity about language is the norm. It states that, within this
community, students and teacher not only take time to test out shades of
connotation and learn about how words and syntax create voice, they also: engage in
personal and philosophical discussions that grow from seemingly simple words such
as "solitude,""self," and "phony"; participate in dance and theater games as ways
of mastering language; keep individual word lists which they share with the class
through a variety of exercises; free-associate through discussion and freewrites on
key words from literature; write their own dictionary definitions of familiar
words; experiment with the rhythms and sounds of words through poetry writing; and
explore the different vocabularies used in a big city newspaper--in sportswriting,
book and TV reviews, news reporting, editorials, and science writing. (Each chapter
contains notes, and a 17-item annotated bibliography of books for further reading
is attached.)

*       Effective Vocabulary Instruction: Active, Involving, and Engaging
Strategies for Encouraging Vocabulary Development by Ray Reutzel.

http://www.coe.usu.edu/ecc/images/pdf/presentations/vocabularyinstruction.pdf
        Presentations, Publications, Resources and by EEJ Center Staff

*       Enhancing Vocabulary Instruction for Secondary Students (Revised)
        http://www.texasreading.org/utcrla/materials/secondary_vocabulary_se.asp
<http://www.texasreading.org/utcrla/materials/secondary_vocabulary_se.asp>
        In conjunction with the Texas Education Agency Division of Curriculum and
Professional Development <http://www.tea.state.tx.us/curriculum/rla.html> , this
guide was revised in 2003 from the original version
<http://www.texasreading.org/utcrla/materials/secondary_vocabulary_se.asp#original#original>
  (©2000).
        This guide provides an overview of vocabulary development and focuses on
ways to enhance vocabulary instruction. It includes strategies for teaching
vocabulary and for integrating vocabulary into a lesson. It includes specific
instructional strategies for teaching vocabulary skills based on the Texas
Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), including using word parts, word
association, context clues, and connotative meaning.

        This guide also contains information on adaptations for struggling readers
and writers (addressing students with disabilities and English language learners).
Adaptations of several of the strategies for vocabulary development are included.
Also provided are critical features of effective instruction and specific
information on integrating the strategies into the classroom.

        Professional development guides include the following materials for
workshop presenters:
         - Presentation slides, which present key points and activities, offered in
two formats: overhead transparencies and Adobe PDF presentations
        - Speaker's notes and activities to accompany the presentation slides
        - Informational and notetaking handouts for participants