Okay, I've had enough.  I'm also a NPR fan.  I'm a former journalist and freelance
writer who worked very hard for my MLS, and am now a children's librarian. It pains
me this misrepresentation, particularly since I'm  a recent graduate.  I'd like to
add that one of my professors (Eliza Dresang) at Florida State University, a leader
in this field, has I believe written the Public Editor at NYT  I will be writing
NPR.

  By the way, we have this book in my llibrary, even though I know it was selected
by a committee who seem to have no sense on what the kids actually would like to
read.  That doesn't mean it isn't a great book, but it seems that selected Newbery
children's books today must appeal to social issues with little regard to what
their audience actually wants to read.

  Kimbre Chapman
  Children's Librarian
  Caldwell Public Library
  Caldwell, ID 83605

  Mark Williams <markwilliams@MAKAW.NET> wrote:
  This weekend's edition of "Weekend America" has a piece on The Power
of Lucky, focusing on children's reaction to the word scrotum (sorry
if your school filters this message out because of the 's' word. I
refuse to censor myself here, it's a perfectly legitimate word, not
slang, not obscene, not intended to excite prurient
interest.) Sadly, the program, like so many other examples of media
coverage, stated that "librarians were refusing to put the books in
their collections", giving the impression that this is what most, or
all, librarians were doing.

Weekend America airs on PBS stations nationwide, but at differing
times, often on Saturday afternoons but not always. Its available
on the NPR web site at
:
http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/programs/2007/02/24/the_other_s_word.html

Mark Williams
Consulting Librarian
Professional Services for Conferences, Districts, Workshops
markwilliams@makaw.net
"The closest thing you will find to an orderly universe is a good
library" Ashleigh Brilliant

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

Never Miss an Email