Greetings to all—

Here’s the promised hit on Biology projects, delayed by New York State’s
February break. Thanks to all—

We do a number of projects with our biology students. A few that come to
mind are: Diseases and their impact on the body, Animal reproduction
posters comparing two species, Writing an epidemic journal written as
though you were living during the outbreak and demonstrating the impact
on society, Creating a picture book for children comparing an amoeba to
one of the system's of the human body, and Comparing two animal species
that are codependent and showing how one depends upon the other.
I've also discussed with the teachers a project where the students read
a short fiction book about an epidemic (like Fever) and then write a
report, but we have never finalized the project. Another discussion
centered upon reading a book about cloning or some other bioengineering
topic and writing something about it. Some possibilities included
Frankenstein, Double Helix or other fiction on the topic. The hard part
with those projects is getting students to read yet another entire book.
- besides their requirements for English.

***

I am a former biology teacher converted to librarian. "There's a
hair in my dirt" by Larson is very popular and easy to read. I would
read this as a class with my students. There are several ways to tie
it to the curriculum. I also read "Lostman's River" by DeFelice.
This is set in the Everglades and deals with environmental issues such
as poaching. It will take me a while to thinkg of more. I would love
to see the results you get from everyone.

***

What about Hot zone (Ebola Virus) or Demon in the Freezer (anthrax) by
Richard Preston? Would this fit with your purpose?

***

I am a librarian at Dwight-Englewood School in Englewood, NJ
We are a K-12 school but my library is 6-12.
For over 20 years we have had a genetic disease project in our school.
It has grown more complex and used more online resources over these
many years. You might want to look at our site and see the Pathfinder
for
BabyEgg. The project has been very popular with students over the years
and the teacher who created the project and I have presented to quite a
few
conferences and professional meetings.

The route to the pathfinder is:
www.d-e.org <http://www.d-e.org/>, then libraries, research tools,
pathfinders, BabyEgg
The first page of the pathfinder is a brief description of the project.

***

I do two collaborations with Biology and enjoy both activities. The 10th
grade Bio and English Dept. share a free choice debatable topic to
research. There is a reading/discussion requirement for Bio and the
written portion is under the English supervision. The topics range from
cloning, artificial hormones, genetic foods, fertility treatments, etc.
Many of my students are farm kids and they are very interested in
selective breeding, etc. They have to support an opinion. Where I come
in is: introduction to databases, media literacy, persuasive writing, etc.

The other unit is a free read, and there are so many bio topics in
novels, so it is easy to find something for everyone. (Ex: Andromeda
Strain, Double Helix, California Blue, Maximum Ride, Hot Zone, Phineas
Gage, Fever, etc) I book talk and serve hot chocolate (it usually is a
March assignment). We talk about the science basis for many of these
titles. They have to determine what is realistic in their book -even if
it's SciFi- and explain/write/create visual for.

***

An assignment that I do every year with the biology teacher is to help
students make informational pamphlets over diseases and viruses. Each
student must take a new disease or virus. Research important information
about that disease and then create a pamphlet to give to the public. She
has a list of diseases that they can use. One year, she changed it to a
powerpoint presentation with 10 slides including one that had a picture.
Along the way, they had to be prepared for any questions the audience
may ask them and had to have a 10 minute speech.

***

Nothing specific in mind, but I would say anything specifically from the
Regents could be practiced in the library. For example, if they have to
read a 1-2 page passage and answer questions about it, maybe have them
search an online database for a short article about biology and then
they would have to answer basic questions and maybe develop some of
their own. Maybe have them search online/books for a graph and have them
answer questions/interpret it. That way they will develop library skills
and also have direct practice for the Regents using the wealth of
library materials..hope this helps!

***

I am currently working with two biology teachers who have decided to use
literature circles with their classes. We have chosen 5 books that have
to do with viruses: Hot Zone, The Monster at our Door, The Demon in the
Freezer, 1793 Fever, and Flu. The students will read the books and
complete the roles. We are meeting with students once per week. I take
two of the groups. At the end they will do a project instead of a final.

Other people are watching this closely. If you are interested, I can
give you more information.

***

How about having the students look up famous Scientist i.e. Biographies
and use publisher, word, etc.. and make a resume about them or a
newsletter. This way they can read about them and then learn how to
write a resume, etc.

***

Read the biography of a scientist and answer basic questions in a
sentence each (What, Why, When, Where, & So What?). Then create a
graphic and contribute to the construction of a timeline of world
history, to run the length of the library (or classroom) upon completion.

***

Research an invention in print and nonprint sources. Create a poster
showing the history of the invention, including both planned and
unplanned consequences.

***

Thanks to all for your help—

Holly Wolf