I have been replying personally to people over the years who don't quite
see the same difference between "censorship" and "selection" as I do.
censorship carries a level of personal disapproval over certain
materials no matter what the general opinion/review  seems to be.  I
don't expect to "like" or "approve of" every book in my collection, but
that doesn't stop me from buying them.  if they come with good reviews
or they support our curriculum, and if we have the budget to buy them, I
will certainly consider every and all books.

I will NOT accept the label of being a censor just because I don't buy
every book that is published.  I know when I am feeling that I don't
want to choose a book -strictly- because of a personal opinion (and that
has been rare in my career) and when I don't choose a book because of my
guiding selection policies.  so anyone out there who chooses to say that
they are operating from a "censorious" point of view, go ahead.  just
don't label ME with that  term.  and I hate to keep reading librarians
accusing other librarians of the same.  it bodes poorly for our
profession.  and you wonder why all these articles are being printed in
recent days?

kate :)

> I know many people on this list are concerned about whether or not
> they are censoring or selecting books for their library.  We all are
> censors if you want to be correct.  Unless you have an unlimited
> budget and space to buy every book out there, you are censoring.
> However, as librarians we prefer to call what we do selection.  And we
> do try to get books that are appropriate for our individual
> situations. We should not be condemned for doing our jobs.  How do I
> decide what to do with books that may be controversial to some in my
> own little world, but not others?  I can't always exclude a book
> because someone might be upset.  All books will upset someone.  My
> rule of thumb is that I will not put a book on the shelf that I am not
> willing to defend.  I'm lucky because I am the librarian for PreK-12.
>  Sometimes I buy a book thinking it will work in 5th grade, but when
> it comes in I realize that it won't, but will work for middle
> schoolers.  I have the luxury of putting the book there, instead of
> calling it a mistake.  I've even had a couple books over the years
> that I realized I didn't want in my library at all, and I took them to
> the public library.

Kate Gallion
Librarian ~ Teacher
TUSD Alternative Education