Hello all,
I recently had an issue at our library.  A 4th grade student checked out a Reading
Counts book, labeled as 4th grade.  The title, "The facts speak for themselves" by
Brock Cole.  A few days later her parents brought the book in and showed me some
inappropriate texts (language and sexual scenes).  I was astounded and agreed with
the parent that this book is not appropriate for 4th grade.  Is anyone familiar
with this book?  Does anyone know if Scholastic has some sort of monitoring system
when the place books at different grade levels.  I called our representative but
have not heard back.  The parent thinks we should remove this book and any other
book by this author from the shelves.  I am seeking your advice if you had a
problem like this.  Although I agree this is inappropriate for 4th grade, my
library serves middle and upper school students too.
Advice?
Thanks.
Susan Montgomery
GPS Boca Raton, FL