> I don't think we should be judging librarians that chose not to add
> certain books to their collection. Are you willing to lose your job over
a book?

If I do not take a stand, who will?  I know I am out of the trenches where
I teach.  I am guaranteed intellectual freedom.  I can and do elect to use
controversial literature as I prepare future school librarians and reading
teachers.  We talk about selection policies and reconsideration of
materials processes.  Take a look at the people honored by ALA for their
heroic defense of books.  I had the honor to work with Ruth Cox (now Ruth
Cox Clark), one of those librarians who did put her job on the line.  Our
local library system has been assaulted by people who tried to remove the
Robie Harris books about sex.  The head of the system, Jerrilynn Williams,
put her job on the line.  She, too, received support from ALA and other
entities to help her in her battle against censors.  If we do not fight
for books, I am fearful there will be no books left for which to fight.

teri
Teri S. Lesesne
Sam Houston State University
Department of Library Science
MAKING THE MATCH:  THE RIGHT BOOK FOR THE RIGHT READER AT THE RIGHT TIME
Stenhouse (2003)AND
NAKED READING (Stenhouse, 2006)

Blog site:
www.professornana.livejournal.com