Here are the responses to my target question about materials used to
introduce and teach the Dewey Decimal system to young students.  I am
considering some kits from World Almananc Education because my students
enjoy the World Almanac for Kids.  Others gave some good suggestions for
titles from Upstart.  Thank you for the suggestions.

Kim Johnson
Woodstock School K-4
Woodstock, AL

I've purchased some books from Upstart Books for Dewey and other library
topics.
The link is below.  I like The Shelf Elf and Marion the hedgehog books.

http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/Search.jsp?catalogId=10040&storeId=10001&langId=-1&N=792

We have an exercise that we have created that I think really helps kids
understand the working of the Dewey system.  We have created sets of paper
book spines, that have call numbers on them.  Each student is given a set of
10, which he lays out on the table in front of him, and has to put them in
order.  The sets can be designed for any age and difficulty level.  We use
very simple alphabetical ones for younger grades, and go up to fairly
complex dewey numbers with points for fifth grade.  We walk around the room
as the students organize their spines, and check that they are doing them
correctly.  We make them do three sets during a regular classroom lesson.
We find that this transfers pretty well to actually finding a book on the
shelf.  Hope this helps,

I have the world alamania kit.  I have the 2004 (budget constraints) but
I tell the kids about that and then we discuss the almanac and play the
game.  We do it for small prizes and "bragging rights"

I used World Almania (using World Almanac for Kids) with students in grades
3 - 5 last year.  I divided the class into groups and put the questions up
on a TV screen using an ELMO.  They really got into it and l just asked the
PTA to buy me 2007 almanacs and a pack of questions.
I haven't used any of the other materials but would love to know what you
find out about them.  What grade do you start teaching Dewey Decimal?  I
received a lot of blank looks when I introduced it last week.

I used World Almanac materials for years.  They used to have an AWESOME kit
called Discovering Dewey that I used with third grade.  I had a parent who
complained that her fourth grader didn't know how to use the library.  I
pulled out the unit and showed her the detailed lessons that broke DDC into
bite size lessons.  She came away saying, "I didn't know that, I didn't know
that....."