  From: Doyle_Tony
  To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:27 PM
  Subject: Selection, Censorship, and Schools

  One element of school librarianship that is not mentioned in ALA's fine
pronouncements and ideals is the idea of "in loco parentis."  We are, as we tell
everyone who listens, teachers.  As teachers we are supposed to act on behalf of
the parents.  So we have to consider parents wishes when we select materials.  Of
course we have to consider all of the parents in our schools so we are juggling a
lot of contradictory ideas.

  We do not operate in the same realm as public librarians.  There is no right to
privacy on a school computer.  School officials can check backpacks and lockers.
Drug dogs can be used to check classrooms and cars in the parking lot.  If I
suspect a student is being abused I am legally obligated to report it.  And I am
directly answerable to people who have absolutely no background in libraries,
people for whom the library is just a small piece of the puzzle, but one that can
attract a lot of negative attention.

  That some of the leaders in ALA (e.g. Dr. Gorman) appear to have little sympathy
for our situation is just a tad disheartening.  It's bad enough that other teachers
and administrators don't "get it", much less our comrades in other libraries.

  That being said, if you are going to disqualify a book for a single word--
especially for a word like scrotum that is neither a swear nor inappropriately used
in the book-- you are wrong.  If it is a good book buy it.  If it gets challenged
defend it.  Just be professional about it.
  Tony Doyle, Library Media Teacher
  CSLA Northern Section PR Chair
  Member California Young Reader Medal Committee
  Livingston High School
  Livingston, CA
  tdoyle@MUHSD.K12.CA.US
  Http://www.lhswolves.org/library/index.htm
  Http://lhsblog.edublogs.org
  "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture; you just have to get people
to stop reading them."
  Ray Bradbury

  ________________________________

  >I'm at the high school level so this "Lucky" issue doesn't effect me but, I
think you have to realize that some librarians who chose not to include a
particular title in their collection for fear of controversy might also fear losing
their job.

  <snip>

  >I don't think we should be judging librarians that chose not to add certain
books to their collection. Are you willing to lose your job over a book?

  The ALA does, indeed, have some fine-sounding statements. Their
  statements, though, have little weight in the real world. Consider this
  scenario: