Having jumped into this discussion over a week ago I cannot help but to
respond to this quote.

"We can advocate for books all we want,
 but I think our responsibility ends there. If the school board says "no" I
don't think the librarians should feel bad about just accepting the
decision."

In 1982 there was a Supreme Court Case regarding this very issue!  It was
Pico vs Island Trees.  The Supreme Court determined that students do not
leave there first amendment rights at the school house.  Here was a group of
individuals including Steven Pico a student and Irene Turin, a school
librarian, who did not accept the decision of the Board of Education.

You may be familiar with many of the titles:

"After their action was publicized, the board appointed a "Book Review
Committee" composed of four parents and four school staff members. In July,
the committee recommended:

  a.. The Fixer, Laughing Boy, Black Boy, Go Ask Alice and Best Short
Stories by Negro Writers be returned to the library shelves.
  b.. The Naked Ape and Down These Mean Streets be removed from the library
shelves.
  c.. Slaughterhouse Five be made available to students only with parental
approval.
The committee could not agree what to do with Soul On Ice and A Hero Ain't
Nothin' But A Sandwich, and they took no position on A Reader for Writers.
(Not all committee members had read the book.) "

Board members - who themselves had read only excerpts from the books -
ordered principals in the school district to remove eight of the works in
question from district junior high and high school libraries. (Laughing Boy
was the only book the board agreed to return to library shelves; Black Boy
could be obtained only with parental approval.) The reasons for banning the
books varied, but most commonly cited were the presence of profanity and
explicit discussions of sex, as well as the "anti-American, anti-Christian,
anti-Semitic, and just plain filthy ." nature of the writings. "

The United States Supreme Court determined that

A school library, no less than any other public library, is 'a place
dedicated to quiet, to knowledge, and to beauty.' . 'Students must always
remain free to inquire, to study and to evaluate, to gain new maturity, and
understanding.' The school library is the principal locus of such freedom. .
'A student can literally explore the unknown, and discover areas of interest
and thought not covered by the prescribed curriculum. . Th[e] student learns
that a library is a place to test or expand upon ideas presented to him, in
or out of the classroom"

Just had to give a little history to the discussion!

Rocco Staino
Director
Keefe Library
North Salem Central Schools