Original Posting:

Colleagues,

Which database is best suitable for the general sciences department?  I
am looking for something that is both informative and has interaction.

I found that students want to search with immediate results.  The
students do not want to read articles from magazines, but want more
information that  is there as they search, graphics as they need it and
experiments that has been explained to them.

Any pointers?

HITS:

I subscribe to Thompson Gale's Science Resource Center.  Students and
teachers both love it.  If you contact them, they will give you a free
trial run.

Big Chalk/Proquest makes a good science database. They make a general
one and one for AP Science.  Check them out....here is the website
listed below.

Look for the science databases.  You can probably get a free trial to
check them out.

http://www.proquestk12.com/productinfo.shtml

Check School Library Journal's October 2006 (I believe) issue for
Science databases---I wrote a review of several science databases in the
"Digital Resources" column.

There are several there that might be helpful, however, I have
discovered that many science students (and teachers) want the .pdf of
the actual article as it was printed in the journal...and many databases
do NOT provide this as a product within their database content.  So,
until this happens, I think that many science databases are still
lacking.  See what you think about the October list of science databases
and check out the free trials that are available.

You might find something that will work.

Good luck!

My opinion:  These are the more traditional databases and the students
here would rather do a google than going through pages and pages of
articles from magazine.  I also found Brainpop and this is what I was
looking for.  Something that is fun and interactive.

Thanks for the responses.

Danville Fourie

Librarian

James Monroe High School