From one private school librarian's view:

There is a huge difference between public libraries, public schools, and private
schools - and their libraries reflect this difference.

I get a lot of heat when I claim to read all the fiction that I put on the shelves
- but I do. Now, a lot of times I am double-dipping - as I have to read them for my
ALA/YALSA/PPYA committees - so many books are pre-read before they get on the
shelf. Other titles I inter-library loan from the public library or one of the many
public schools in the area.

Coming out of the public schools and now in a private school, it was surprising to
me the number of students who complained to me about language (especially) in some
of the library books. They were honestly offended by "f bombs" and other famous
curse words. I am also delighted, however, by the number of students who read the
PPYA nominations with me - and offer suggestions - including language concerns.

Also, with our limited budgets (my current total budget for everything including
equipment is not even equal to my equipment budget when I was in the public
sector), I have really honed my skills and become  a very careful selector.

Some would label it censorship - some would label it material selection - I would
label it wise decision making.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 - 4000 x231
585-342 - 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the School Sisters of
Notre Dame
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this
electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged and confidential. The
information is intended only for the use of the recipients (s) named above. If you
have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete
the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any
action in reliance on the contents of the information received in error is strictly
prohibited.