If we know that a parent doesn't want their child to read a certain book then we do
"protect" them from it.  We really have no choice as we are talking about a legal
doctrine that the courts apply to schools.  We protect kids from all kinds stuff at
school: inappropriate clothing, sexual harassment, racism, soft drinks, etc.
Parents have to send kids to school so schools have to provide some protections.
That is why, at least here in CA, parents can have their students excused from
parts of the curriculum to which they object (i.e. s? x ed.-- where they might see
the word scrotum ;-)).

That doesn't mean you don't buy any book that any parent objects to.  That would
result in empty libraries.  It does mean you need a well thought out collection
development policy that includes a parent's right to challenge library materials.
Even then, we continually perform a balancing act.

I think our district's policy is a good one.  It specifically mentions the
diversity of our student body, the inclusion of materials that cover controversial
topics, and the ALA's Library Bill of Rights.  In my 10 years here there has only
been one successful challenge.  Most times objections can be dealt with pretty
easily by explaining the collection development policy and by being professional
and taking a parent's concerns seriously.

http://www.muhsd.k12.ca.us/curricul/documents/Library%20Plan%202005-2010.pdf

Tony Doyle, Library Media Teacher
CSLA Northern Section PR Chair
Member California Young Reader Medal Committee
Livingston High School
Livingston, CA
tdoyle@MUHSD.K12.CA.US
Http://www.lhswolves.org/library/index.htm
Http://lhsblog.edublogs.org
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture; you just have to get people to
stop reading them."
Ray Bradbury