Thanks to all the people who sent me along suggestions. There are a few titles that
are not picture books and one that is WWII. I noted those. It is a great list. I
hope all who asked for a hit find it as usefule as I have. Again, thanks very much.

World War I Picture Book Suggestions

•       Debon, Nicolas. A brave soldier.  Shares the story of Frank, one of the
young Canadians who answered their country's call to serve during World War I, as
his youthful enthusiasm is snuffed out by the brutal conditions and the task at
hand.
•       Decker, Timothy. The letter home. A very simple story, but the pictures
speak volumes.  I think every library should have a copy! A medic sent to the front
lines in the trenches of World War I writes a letter home to his young son.
•       Ellis, John. Eye-Deep in Hell: Trench warfare in World War I. Millions of
men lived in the trenches during World War I. More than six million died there. In
Eye-Deep in Hell, the author explores this unique and terrifying world--the rituals
of battle, the habits of daily life, and the constant struggle of men to find
meaning amid excruciating boredom and the specter of impending death. NOT a picture
book.
•       Foreman, Michael. War games. During World War I, four English friends and
their comrades find temporary relief from the brutal and seemingly endless struggle
in the trenches when, on an extraordinary Christmas Day, they celebrate the holiday
with their German enemies.
•       Granfield, Linda and Janet Wilson.  In Flanders Fields : The story of the
poem by John McCrae. Presents the context for the writing of the famous poem by the
Canadian medical officer who attended injured soldiers in Flanders during the First
World War.
•       Granfield, Linda. Where poppies grow: a World War I Companion.
•       The Great War 1914-1918 by John Terraine (1965) and The Great War and the
Shaping of the 20th Century by Jay Winter and Blaine Baggett (1996).Grolier also
has an 8 volume series The Grolier Library of World War I. NOT picture books.
•       Houston, Gloria. The year of the perfect Christmas tree. This unforgettable
tale, illustrated by Caldecott Medalist Barbara Cooney, has become a seasonal
classic-a touching and joyful story about courage and the power of family
•       Keegan, John. An illustrated history of World War I. Matching nearly 500
photographs, maps, and prints to a thoughtful, interpretive text, renowned military
historian John Keegan again turns his attention to "the war to end all wars." NOT a
picture book.
•       Korda, Michael. The Christmas truce.
•       McCutcheon, John. Christmas in the trenches. It’s about the Christmas Eve
Truce of 1914, and comes from the song written by the author. A CD of the song was
included with the book. A World War I veteran tells his grandson of his experiences
in 1914, when British and German soldiers declared a truce from fighting to
celebrate Christmas together.
•       Polacco, Patricia. The butterfly. (WWII not WWI)
•       Rabin, S. Casey over there.  After his older brother Casey goes off to
fight in World War I, Aubrey and his family are so worried that Aubrey writes a
letter to Uncle Sam asking him to send Casey home.
•       Wells, Rosemary. Language of doves. On her sixth birthday, Julietta's
grandfather gives her one of his beautiful homing pigeons and tells her a story of
his experience raising and training doves in Italy during the Great War.

Melinda Miller-Widrick
Colton-Pierrepont CSD
K-12 Library Media Center
4921 State Highway 56
Colton, NY 13625 T: 315262210 F: 3152623135
melinda@cpcs.k12.ny.us