The copyright dates for the graphic novels I listed earlier are:
Ethel & Ernest - c1999
Persepolis - c2003
Alia's Mission - c2004

Another early "graphic novel" of this type (historical-biography) is

The four immigrants manga: A Japanese experience in San Francisco,
1904-1924. By Henry (Yoshitaka) Kiyama. Translated with an
introduction and notes by Frederik L. Schodt. Berkeley, CA: Stone
Bridge Press, 1999. First published in 1931, in a bilingual format.

A comic-strip account of the experiences of Japanese immigrants in
early-twentieth-century San Francisco. (between 1904 and 1924)
Kiyama's autobiographical story follows four friends who come to the
U.S. in 1904 and work as houseboys and farmers. Mentioned in the story
are the San Francisco earthquake, World War I, prohibition. The
stories show the prejudice and the social political climate of the
times. One of the early "graphic novels". This translated version has
panel notes in the back which give historic and social background
information. Also includes translation information as many of the puns
did not translate well.