Thanks to all who responded. (I hope that I thanked you all
personally.) Some of the information that I received re the purchase
of State  Books...

The World Almanac ones are very popular with students at my school.
I like the layout, the resources, the use of photos, and just about
everything about them!  I originally purchased them to put on my
birthday book cart, and was getting impatient as they were slow
sellers (they were in the highest price bracket.)  The outgoing PTO
president asked how many I had left, and wrote me a check for all of
them!  Our fifth graders do state reports, so this books are rarely
on the shelves.  Just FYI, in your grant proposal, cite whatever
state standards you can to justify your purchase.  Everyone seems to
love that:)

I also was at AASL and am planning to replace my state book series
with the From Sea to Shining Sea series. Used to be Children's Press,
now Scholastic owns them I think.
http://librarypublishing.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
ProductDisplayView?
langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=14337&returnURL=SearchView%3FlangId%
3D-1%26storeId%3D10001%26title%3Dfrom%2Bsea%2Bto%2Bshining%2Bsea%
26orderBy%3DtitleASC
if the link doesn't work, go to http://www.scholastic.com/librarians/
and click on library publishing.

I just bought a series called It's My State. Chock full of
information in a kid-friendly layout.  And there's a photo of a child
on the cover.

I think the series that I used in Elem school was Hello USA. (can't
remember the publisher-maybe Compass Point Books?)  Easier to use
than America the Beautiful. It was very appropriate for third grade
state reports and the teachers really liked it.  I just changed jobs
this september but if I was in my elem library I would have tried to
update it this year.

I like this series and it is by Sleeping Bear Press. Set Name:
Discover America State By State

Not sure of a series, but the state alphabet books have been
extremely popular at our elementary school.

I like the series from Abdo publishing company.

I'm at a K-5 school, and I like the World Almanac set, but I've found
that my younger kids really love the Rookie Reader state books.  I'm
purchasing them as I get the funds, since they aren't cheap.  I figure
the earlier I can get them interested in geography, the better.  You may
want to give them a look.

Thanks again,
Deb Hendrickson

Deborah J. Hendrickson