Last week I read a terrific YA novel written by a First Nations author,
Richard Van Camp. The novel is THE LESSER BLESSED, published by Douglas &
McIntyre in 2004. The protagonist is a 16 year old boy of the Dogrib Nation.

The CLCD database doesn't include reviews of it, and there aren't any
editorial reviews on Amazon either. It came out in 1996, and maybe CLCD and
Amazon don't go back that far.

Anyway, it is a terrific book, and really ought to get a look-see here in
the US.  I much prefer it to last year's X-INDIAN CHRONICLES, which is
similar (YA, Native teen protagonist, set in present day,
drugs/sex/violence, edgy).

Debbie

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu