Hello and Happy New Year

I just started working in two different schools with kindergarten children.
In one school

I may get two classes together and I may have over 40 children at the time
with one or two assistants.

It is very hard to control the children as they fight and tease each other.
It gets warm in the classroom as they come at the end of the day with their
coats.

I have tried routines, breaking the lesson into several activities including
movement, finger play, songs, coloring and listening to a story.

They also have a routine about coming into the library, putting their coats
away,  and leaving.

I have them for 35 minutes. It seems that I waste about 15-20 minutes
settling them.

Any suggestions.?

 I will post them as a Hit if someone asks me to.

Madeleine Zember, Librarian
Early Childhood Center
Hempstead, NY
drjesons@gmail.com