From: "joshua mika" <jmika@NAPERVILLE203.ORG>
To: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:42 AM
Subject: [LM_NET] HIT: New Years Books?

    I put a question mark because I didn't find any either, Christine & Lidia, but
I had my kindergarten classes asking for New Years books before break.  In my
original posting I mention that we have plenty of books on other cultures and their
New Years celebrations, however, none for the ideas/themes we're looking for.  I'm
still on winter break and haven't had time to hit the public library nor my amazing
local bookseller, Anderson's, but many are interested.  I'll do a bit more
research, but I'd ask that anyone with great picture books on New Years resolutions
or the American traditions/celebrations please speak up.  I'm sure it's not a dry
spot in children's literature, we just need to delve further.

     I'd like to thank Sally Bub for the one hit I did receive: Father Time and the
Day Boxes by George Ella Lyon ISBN 0027613704.  I can't attest to this book, but it
sounds interesting from SLJ's review:

---School Library Journal---
Kindergarten-Grade 4 It's Father Time's job to dispense days from a box in his time
vault. One box holds 365 days in packets and every 24 hours he throws one down. The
soft watercolor illustrations cover the entire page. The colors are both vibrant
and soft; the blues and yellows, in varying shades, give a sense of depth and
continuity, and white-bearded Father Time, clothed in a white suit and blue tie,
adds a touch of humor. A whimsical, gentle story with asides about Father Time's
relationship to Mother Nature and philosophical observations about time. Not much
happens, but a wonderful opportunity to think and talk about "time" is offered.

Josh Mika

LRC Director, Beebe Elementary

Naperville, IL

jmika@naperville203.org