Thanks to all the people who responded to my request for a middle school read aloud
involving racial issues.  Here are the suggestions:

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco

If You come Softly by Woodson?

How about Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary Schmidt?

Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiley
The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson

You might want to look at Crossing Jordan by Adrian Fogelin (no relation to
the TV show) "Twelve-year-old Cass meets her new African-American neighbor,
Jemmie, and despite their families' prejudices, they build a strong
friendship around their mutual talent for running and a pact to read Jane
Eyre."
 My Follett record says reading level 4.2, but I don't think so--not the
ideas, anyway. 140 pages. Easy to read, but lots to chew on.

You might check the book Face Relations: Short Stories about Seeing Beyond
Color, edited by Marilyn Singer.

The Jacket by Andrew Clements

EFB
Erin Fitzpatrick-Bjorn
  Teacher Librarian
  West Orient Middle School
  29805 SE Orient Drive
  Gresham, OR  97080
  erin_fitzpatrick-bjorn@gbsd.gresham.k12.or.us
  http://westorient.gresham.k12.or.us/~fitzpatrick/

School library programs:  ensuring all students are effective users of ideas and
information