Happy Holidays, All!

I am trying something with my jaded 4th grade boys.  Many hand back
their card (with barcode for checking books out) saying "I'm not
going to take anything".  I have a clip board and keep a list of who
doesn't want books and why.  I go talk to each one as to why they
choose not to select a book.  Usually I can find something they are
interested in.  One such gentleman said he wanted books about law
enforcement.  Indeed he has read all the books we have on the subject
which are mostly very simple text ("At the Police Station", "Inside a
police car").  I think this would be a subject worth  expanding.  Any
titles, ideas where to find titles?  Our oldest are fourth grade, but
those with burning interest will take books on a higher reading level.

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)