Jacqueline Henry writes:
First computer in my library was made by Xerox - believe it or not.  I
am not sure they were made for general sale.
--------------------------------------
In the early 80's I worked for an office automation vendor who sold a
product called NBI (That stood for Nothing But Initials.) and we sometimes
competed against Xerox. In those early days we had some word processors with
48k of internal memory and they used 8 inch floppy disks. NBI was ahead of
its time. They linked these machines together with a network server that had
a full meg of memory and a whopping 120 Meg hard disk that stored data for
several workstations. They also came out with a standalone PC with dual
floppy drives. When the internal hard disks came out there was a 10 Mb
version available. The really funny thing is that we sold those computers
for about $10,000. We also sold daisy wheel printers which were so loud that
we sold big sound covers to deaden the sound. With the sound covers, they
looked really huge--bigger than a good sized copy machine. Ah--memories.

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student.
Everyone is a teacher.