However, if there are some more ideas out there about quick Newbery lessons
for 4th/5th grade, I am happy to post a Hit #2.  Here are the great ideas I
got:

A few years ago I had a library aide cut apart an old book vendor poster
that had images of all the winners.  Then we pasted the images with titles
and author onto index cards and laminated.

For the student part:  have them guess the call number (not all are F...) by
looking at author name.  I think I had students use Vis-a-markers to write
the call numbers on the backs of the cards.  After checking the call numbers
("correcting" those that are actually non-F), students were to find the book
on the shelf.  If you've already discussed genre, the next step could be to
have students get to know the book and add the genre on the card.

A quick wipe on the card on a damp towel and you're ready for the next
class!

Title:  Newberry Books, Grade Level: 4th grade
Lesson Objectives:
The Students will: examine some Newberry books recognize the qualities of an
award-winning book.

Activities and Procedures:
Examine several books which have received the Newberry award.
Have students compare books that have received this award.

Book talk several of the books

Activity: Put together 8 piles of three books per pile. Include at least
one Newberry    book in each pile. Have a student volunteer place the books
on the easel.  Ask if students have read the books, if so, have them
tell what they appreciated about it, if         not talk about the book. Place a
post-it on the cover of each book.  Have students vote or the one they
thought got the Newberry. Peel off post-it to see how they did.

Include the 1922 winner "The History of Mankind" Talk about the
differences in this book and the books that get the Newberry now.  More
elevated, more adult, to elevate the mind.