WOW, I received a lot of good titles for the request I made.  My teacher is
impressed, and I found a couple of 'must buy' books I don't have on my shelves.
Thanks all!!!

My request:
A first grade teacher wants to surprise her class. She plans to dress up as an old
woman, come into the class and read a book.  She wants something the kids will
"really get into". I assume it will be a short 10-15 minute period of time.    I
asked about a 'golden-oldie'.... a book from an older woman's childhood, and that's
NOT what she wants.  Sorry to be so vague, but that's the way the teacher was....
Any ideas?  Email me at koontzs@usd286-sedan-ks.org

The replies:

Miss Nelson is Missing by Harry Allard

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow by Lucille
Colandro?

"The Old Woman Who Loved Books,"

"The Old Woman Who Named Things,"

"Our Granny"

How about Epossumondos or Why Epossumondos has no hair on his tail. I
suggest these because of his owner being an "old" woman.

 Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything (more for Halloween),

Library Lion
Baby Brains
Stanley’s Party
Skateboard Mom

Old Favorites:
The Mitten
Anything by Robert Munsch
Everything by Mo Willems

When I Was Young in the Mountians or When the Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant

She could be the grandmother from Little Red Riding Hood telling the story from her
point of view or she could be the a friend of the old lady who swallowed a fly and
tell the sad story of what happened to her.

If you have it, the Mrs. Wishy-Washy books by Joy Cowley (illustrated by Elizabeth
Fuller) are great to dress up and read.  I have a costume that I use almost every
year at the start of first grade when I read the stories.  I have a bucket and give
the students little pieces of a sponge to go along with the story.  Plus you get to
wear fuzzy house slippers with the costume.   It will take more than one of them to
take up 15 minutes, though.

Barfburger Baby, I Was Here First by Paula Danziger.

"The old woman and the willy, nilly man" by Jill Wright. This is an awesome story
about an old woman who has a problem when her shoes
dance all by themselves during the night - they keep her awake. She asks the willy,
nilly man to help her - the willy, nilly man is a grumpy, old man who wants to keep
to himself. It's a story about 'getting along'. There is a great amount of strong
'back woods' dialect that adds life to the story. This picture book is little on
the long side, but the dialect and story keep the students interested. The reader
must be prepared to 'play' the part.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

Amelia Bedelia

The Old Woman Who Loved to Read by John Winch, 1997.

 Too Many Books by Caroline F. Bauer, 1986.

The Funny Little Woman folktale by Arlene Mosel.

The old woman who named things?

Grandpa's teeth?

Koontzhaus Sedan, KS
Walt & Sharon
koontzw@sbcglobal.net

"I'm not organizationally-challenged, I'm chaotically-gifted!"--unknown
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe
with fur. -Doug Larson, Olympic Gold Medalist (1902-1981)