My apologies to my other colleagues that I did not share these wonderful
lesson ideas in my last email.
They got lost in my junk mail.  Thanks so much!

Have them make a list - either individual or group -
of all the awards they know: World Series, Super Bowl,
Miss America, etc. What are the criteria for these
awards?

If someone mentions any of the book awards, great! If
not, that's fine, too. Maybe you could get the Follett
posters of the Caldecott, Newbery, Coretta Scott King,
and BelPre and ALA has bookmarks.

I made a Newbery bingo game for my 5th graders.  First I read the summary
and see if anyone recognizes the title.  If not, then I will tell them the
title.  I only use books that we own.  They always head right for the
shelves and start borrowing many of the titles used in the game.

I have a Newbery bingo game I use with my 4th graders. Scatter the Newbery
books on the tables, have a student hold up the book when a title is called
in the Bingo game, and play for bookmarks.--Also point out the Newbery
poster and have the kids find their book on the poster and tell the year it
won....etc. Game was in the library when I took the position 10 years ago,
but is probably available from Highsmith, Upstart, or Demco.  (hey, if mine
is 10 years old I probably need a new one!)

Sincerely,
Andrea Koch
French Road Elementary School
Rochester, New York