In less than 2 weeks on Jan. 22 YALSA will announce the winners of its 2007 Alex,
Edwards and Printz awards as well as the final choices for our six 2007 recommended
reading, listening and viewing lists. Here's what you can do to be a part of it:

1. Gather your English teachers and students around to watch the live announcement
of the awards from a web cast at www.ala.org.  Log in at 7:45 AM Jan. 22nd Pacific
time to hear the names of the 2007 Alex, Edwards, Printz winners and ALA’s other
youth awards.  These are the only national awards for Young Adult Literature, so
it's a momentous occasion!

2. YALSA has worked with ALA to send out press materials nationwide about the 2007
awards.  However, we need your help in order to get maximum publicity for the
awards.   Please consider sending the awards press release to your local newspaper.
 It can be accessed at: www.ala.org/mwtools on January 22nd.

3. Link to YALSA’s 2007 awards and selected lists on your library’s web site or
blog.  The URL is www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists.  Selected lists with annotations
will be available from the For Members Only portion of YALSA’s web site.

4. Read and talk about the award winners on YALSA’s blog at
http://blogs.ala.org/yalsa.php.  YALSA member Teri Lesesne will be blogging from
the Midwinter Meeting about the awards and lists.

5. Get involved in the 2008 awards and lists.  Anyone can nominate a title for an
award or list.   Beginning Feb. 1st just go to www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists and
click on the award or list for which you’d like to nominate a title.

6. Want to be on a YALSA award or selection committee?  We'd love to have you!  The
next round of appointments won’t be made until fall 2007.  Until then you can learn
about the committees and decide which one may be a good fit for you.  Feel free to
contact committee chairs if you have questions about specific committees.  You can
read about committees, find contact information for chairs and fill out a Committee
Volunteer Form from here: http://tinyurl.com/y6yhnk.

Thanks to our committee members who worked so hard to select the 2007 awards and
lists, and thanks to you for promoting reading with your teens!
-Beth

Beth Yoke
Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association,
fastest growing division of the American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
1 (800) 545-2433 x4391
byoke@ala.org