I have a student in high school who remembers this AWESOME fiction book from when
she was younger. It would be a chapter book about a girl who goes to live with mom
(Mom's name is Rachel) after dad dies. She remembers the girl lived somewhere warm
and now is someplace with snow. She gets a dog named Tumnis. (I asked and she said
she wasn't confusing it with Narnia!) She has a guy friend in foster care who is a
great artist and is secretly meeting dad who is an alcoholic and hits him. The girl
ends up saving the guy from his dad hurting him. She says the cover has a girl
hugging a black dog with a barn in the background.

She remembers so much, but not enough to help me. Can you help? Does any of this
jog your memory?

Thanks In Advance!

Charlene Schwartz
Elementary Librarian
Richland Center, WI
schk@richland.k12.wi.us
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwartz!" - Mel Brooks (Yogurt in
SPACEBALLS) -