Following up on what David Lininger, Toni Buzzeo and Laura Brooks have said about
even just a few of us making a commitment to write for/publish/speak to
non-librarian groups:
I'm planning to make the effort. Brainstorming in the car on the way home, I
thought of our local free parenting publication, the local PBS station that seeks
short radio essays and videos (how about "Day in the Life of a School Library"? my
students are better at iMovie than I am!),an article for local newspaper on "Local
Librarians Educate about new State Law on Internet Safety",...

Also, on a very related front, part of that speaking and writing could be in the
political arena.
When I and many more articulate others spoke at State Hearings this fall, the
chairperson said that it was thanks to the testimony of hundreds of people like us
that some important things were funded in the previous legislative session. Read
that sentence again - the key word is HUNDREDS. So I started to think that if
Virginia librarians could come up with a plan for the next round of hearings, in 2
years, we could be better prepared. What if each of the 7 regions of VEMA (our
state professional organization) could have 20 speakers and 100 emails. I sent out
about 75 email requests for parents, teachers, volunteers, etc. to send email to
the state in support of the changes we were seeking (better staffing, mainly). I
got 16 takers - pretty good on short notice!

Let's see...

Melissa Techman, MLS
Broadus Wood Elementary School,
185 Buck Mtn. Rd,