Here is the promised hit on African-American heritage month ideas (our school is
looking for some).  We haven't decided exactly what we're doing yet, but we'll
probably pull in some of the things from below.  Thanks to all.

Julie Miller-Breetz, librarian
Cochran Elementary
Louisville, KY
julie.miller-breetz@jefferson.kyschools.us

********************
At the school I am doing my student librarianship we
are embarking on 100 acts of kindness.  It was kicked
off to commemorate Martin Luther King's birthday. I found the chart and other
information at
http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=259
<https://ketsmail.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=259>
 .

if you do not subscribe, the ideas are good.

*****************

Last year, our school celebrated by focusing on the Harlem Renaissance.  We
decorated our doors with themes from the times-- for example, I covered the
library door with pictures and quotes from writers during the HR, one
classroom decorated their door as The Cotton Club, etc.  We had a dress-up
day-- you should have SEEN how cute this was!  There were tons of boas and
suit jackets.  Even the middle schoolers enjoyed dressing in that style.  We
convened in the hall way and did "swing" dancing for a few songs from the
era.  Each morning on the announcements we read quotes from the HR.  We
really enjoyed focusing on just one time period.  It made it much more
meaningful.  I believe you are looking for something NOT in a historical
context, but maybe our celebration gave you a few ideas for highlighting a
cultural aspect (say, music).  I'm chuckling because at our admin. meeting today,
we decided to go with
"the 70's" this year.  As we are an urban school, we will be focusing on the
Black Power movement along with the cultural aspects of the era.  Can't wait
for dress up day on this one!  This should be interesting!

One of the most appreciated activities is one of our school adopters, a
civic organization, that comes to read African-American stories to the
students during February.   We have a rocking chair in a central hallway
location and the classes that are scheduled gather at the designated times
come to meet the storyteller or reader for the day.