Richie's Picks: MENDEL'S DAUGHTER: A MEMOIR  by Martin Lemelman, Free Press,
October 2006, ISBN: 0-7432-9162-X

MENDEL'S DAUGHTER details the harrowing story of  Martin Lemelman's mother
and her family during the Holocaust.  It is a  story that Lemelman grew up
knowing very little of.  But in 1989,  after his mother, Gusta, dropped a frozen
chicken on her foot (causing  it to be broken), Lemelman brought her to stay at
his house in  Pennsylvania.  In part to curtail her efforts to do all of  the
cooking and cleaning at his house with her broken foot, and in  part to have a
family history that he would be able to pass along to  his own children,
Lemelman persuaded his mother to finally share her  story.  He wisely videotaped
her.  After her death a decade  ago, he watched the recording, edited the
story Gusta related by reorganizing it chronologically  and augmenting her
accounts with those of his Uncle Isia,  who also survived.  He then illustrated it
with hundreds of drawings  interspersed with actual documents and some little
black and white photos  his mother had saved from her childhood.

"So the Gestapo man walked over to a Sheygitz, a young  Gentile, and he ask
him if he know where the Jews live.  He wanted to call  a Jew to push the car
and who knows what else.  So he  came over to our house and he found me in the
house. I go outside.  He  wants my brother should help move his car.  So I ask
him maybe to let  Isia to go in to take the jacket.  It is so cold.  I talk
to him  in German.  I speak so good.  I speak so good with him that he
understood everything.  He let Isia go in for the jacket.
"Now Yetala knows what could be if he goes with the  bastards.  So Yetala
chased Isia out.  He jumps through the kitchen  window.  'Run like the deer,' she
says.  And he runs like the  wind.  And then this Nazi realized that Isia was
not there.  'Come  inside with me,' he said.  I said, 'No,' and I stood still
like a  stone.  So still that if they gave me a million dollars I couldn't
move my  legs.  That's how stiff I was.  He went into the house and he saw the
windows were open...Meanwhile, I was standing, buried.  I couldn't  move.  I
couldn't move, because I was frightened.  So then, when he  came out again, he
was very heated.  Angry.  He saw that he lost his  Jew.  He said to me again
to come inside.  If I would have come  inside, he would have killed me.
"On the street in that time, 1941, he still didn't have the  right to kill
us.  So then he came over to me with the rifle.  He  turned the rifle over and
gave it to me on the head.  In the street, there  were peoples with cars, and
with wagons.  Gentiles with the wagons, with  the cars, didn't do anything.
"I believed I was going to be a cripple.  He ran to me  with such anger and
he gave me such a hit in the head and by the ear that,  pardon me, my period
went.  My period was pouring out blood and my ear was  pouring out blood, and
from my hair was pouring blood.
"But I survived.  At night was everything in order.   My father comes home,
my mother comes home, Isia comes home, Yetala comes  home.  Maybe a month later
we moved out."

This particular portion of Gusta Mendel's story covers  three and one-half
large trim pages and is accompanied by a dozen of  Lemelman's pencil and ink
drawings ranging from a trio of one and  one-half inch side by side squares up to
several large  half-page illustrations.  The interplay of story and
illustration makes for  a telling that won't easily be forgotten.

Gusta Mendel grew up in a prosperous and well-regarded  Jewish family in a
portion of Poland that is now part of the  Ukraine.  This was a region that
during World War II was  invaded first by the Communists and then by the Nazis.
We know from  the outset of this memoir that this is a story of survival, that
Gusta made it through the Holocaust.  Following the historical  and personal
events that are depicted in this book, Gusta would  eventually come to America
and, with her husband, raise Lemelman  and his brother in the back of their
Brooklyn candy  store.

The rest of the Mendel family was murdered  by the Nazis, but Gusta, Isia,
Yetala, and another  sibling, Simon, lived.  The four siblings survived in the
woods through two winters, digging themselves a series of underground
shelters, burying the potatoes and sugarbeets they'd steal from fields in  the
middle
of the night, and getting some help from a  few people who were sympathetic
to their plight.

"For us, the war ended in March-April 1944.
"Who could believe that the German army coming back to  Germakivka would be
the beginning of our liberation?  This time, thanks  God, they was coming from
the East, running away from  Russia."

The result of Lemelman's labor of love is the real deal: an  illustrated
memoir which, while technically published as an adult  book, will be incredibly
approachable, engaging, and memorable to  middle school and high school age
readers.

Richie  Partington
Student, SJSU  SLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com