  Thank you, Deborah, for reminding me of this comment:

  "On a side note, I remember someone posting a comment "We have no business
reading to students." The comment was meant not so much against reading as
that we should be focusing on technology skills instead. In thinking about
this, it seems to me that as librarians it wasn't/isn't our ability to read
stories to students but our knowledge of WHAT to read to students and how to
encourage students to go beyond what we read to them. Is the same true of
the technology? If our job is to "teach" technology, why should that be a
librarian as opposed to a technology teacher?"

  LMNETTERS,

  Perhaps in the particular district that the original commentor works, this idea
of teaching technology is what s/he has been hired to do, or rather, has seen this
need go unanswered by others and has taken this mantle upon herself. I have been
blessed with a computer teacher and an IT person assigned to our elementary school.
I have not seen the need to also "instruct" in technology. In fact, I have
discovered that although my students receive a guaranteed computer instruction time
each week, they do not receive a guaranteed read-aloud time.

  I could wax eloquent about the value of reading aloud to all children, and yet on
LM_NET I haven't, because I perceived that this value is shared universally by all
school librarians. It appears that I am amiss in this assessment. I may then want
to share strategies with those of the non-read-aloud-ers.

  SO, if you do not read aloud to your students, and it's a deliberate, conscious
choice based on what's best for your students, would you share with me your
reasons? I need another point of view on this matter.

  Blessings,

  Liz Frame, Librarian

  San Antonio Christian Elementary School
  San Antonio, TX