Hi.  Every March I run Women in Sports Month (and tie it in to various aspects of
learning information literacy skills) and work in collaboration with the PE
Department.  I highly suggest doing this!  The girls (I work in a school for girls)
LOVE it.  They are empowered and they find it exciting!  I hope that every
collection has a large collection of women in sports.  When I first arrived at my
current library, there were almost no books about women in sports (at a girls'
school!!!).

So, here are some suggestions for great sports books for kids K-3 regardless of
their sex.  Maybe people want to add to this list.

Mighty Jackie: The Strike Out Queen by Marissa Moss (baseball - biography)

Players in Pigtails by Shana Corey (baseball - historical fiction picture book)

Dulcie Dando: Soccer Star by Sue Stops (soccer - picture book)

Winners Never Quit by Mia Hamm (soccer - picture book)

Girl Wonder: A Baseball Story in Nine Innings by Deborah Hopkinson (baseball -
historical fiction picture book)

Dirt on their Skirts: The Story of the Young Women Who Won the World Championship
by Doreen Rappaport (baseball - historical fiction picture book)

Mama Played Baseball by David A. Adler (baseball - historical fiction picture book)

Dottie Wiltse Collins: Strike-out Queen of the All American Girls Professional
Baseball League by Carolyn M. Trombe (baseball - biography)

Throw Like a Girl: Discovering the Body, Mind, and Spirit of the Athlete in You! by
Shelley Frost and Ann Troussieux (motivational sports book)

Hayley Wickenheiser: Born to Play by Elizabeth Etve (ice hockey - biography)

Hat Tricks Count: A Hockey Number Book by Matt Napier (ice hockey - non-fiction/
biography/ counting/ rules of the game)

Dorothy "Dot" Richardson by Hather Forkos (baseball - biography)

The Blue Ribbon Day by Katie Couric (baseball - picture book)

Mia Hamm: Soccer Star by Rob Kirkpatrick (soccer - biography)

Lori Feldstein-Gardner
School Library Media Teacher
The Hewitt School
New York, NY