Hello,

Has anyone planned an open house for a middle school library?  For the last few
years my library has been undergoing an overhaul.  Now I would like to have an open
house, but don't know where to start.  Should the open house be a drop in all day
event, or an evening event for just a few hours?  A former student has been working
on a mural around the library, it is fabulous. I would like the community to come
in, meet the artist and see her work.  The staff has been working hard weeding and
adding new books to bring the library up to date.  The last few weeks we have been
recovering chairs and a couch that haven't been updated since 1980.

Today we talked about having the open house on Dr. Suess Day.   I have 25 to 30
people come in and read during home room in the morning.  The cafeteria decorates
for Dr. Suess Day and makes cake.  This year the students are all bringing  in
books they have read and want to trade.  At lunch everyone gets to visit the book
table and take a book.  After lunch our school stops and reads.  The bulletin board
in front of the library already has Dr. Suess Day displayed and  the last week in
February, first week in March Dr. Suess book marks will be given out.

This is all planned and set up.  Would having an open house on top of this be
overload or tons of fun?

Help needed,
Debra Evetts
Librarian