Thank you to all who responded!  My original question asked how you teach
students how to shelve and if anyone had handouts they were willing to
share.

Before getting these responses, I created about 100 cards (for both fiction
and non-fiction) that resembled a book label.  For example, I put FIC MIT
Mitchell, Margaret     Gone with the wind
The students then had to pretend these were the books and put them in order.
  I laminated them so they can be used each year.
I quickly found out who did not understand!

I have attached these practice cards.  They are in Excel and the two tabs
show fic and nonfiction.

I like these handouts and it might be nice to 'quiz' them some of these
suggestions in about a week or two to make sure that the process has stuck!
Thanks again!

If the attachments didn't send please let me know and I will send them to
you off the list.
Dawn

Here are some responses:
The attachments go along with

I have 8th grade assistants.   I have a sheet that basically gives examples
and instructions. I take oblank 3x5 cards and write call letters or call
numbers on them, and have the kids put them order.  I have four different
sets, which give a variety of practice problems.
Having the kids physically put them in order seems more authentic than just
a worksheet.
Jo Chinn

_______

SHELVING AND SHELF READING

1. GENERAL
            Books are arranged from left to right on shelves.
            Books are placed with the spine outward.
            Books are placed flush with edge of shelf.
            When the shelf is too crowded, adjust books up or down.
            Always use both hands to open a space before pushing a book in
place.
            Avoid pulling out a book by the top of the spine.
            Push books up close together.

2. HOW TO SHELVE
            FICTION books are marked with (F) or (FIC) and are shelved
alphabetically by author’s last name.
            The Dewey Decimal System NUMBER, in numerical order starting
with 001 and going to 999, shelves NON-FICTION books.

            **When in doubt, check with Librarian if you don’t understand
shelving by decimals or other symbols on spine.  DO NOT GUESS!!

            Don’t put a book at the end of one shelf until you check the
next shelf to see if there are others between call number of book being
shelved and last book on shelf.

            Do minor shelf adjusting as you go when shelves fill up.
Ideally each shelf should have a bookend with some space left for expansion.
  Jammed books break covers and spines.

            If you see an incorrectly shelved book while shelving, take time
to reshelf it.  A misplaced book is a lost book.

            Any book with (R) or (REF) and a red sticker is a REFERENCE book
and belongs in the reference section.

3.  SHELF READING
            Shelf reading should be done at regular times as often as
needed.
            PURPOSE AND METHOD
                        Checking to see that each book is in its proper
order.
Check, also, to see that all books are even with the edge of the shelf.
                        Straighten books that are leaning or out of order.
                        If a book is worn or in need of mending, take it to
the Librarian.

Jeanne Claridge
______

About a month or two ago I posted a question about shelving rules. I was
looking to update the rules that my aide should follow when shelving. I got
a few responses and combined the best ones to meet my needs. I am attaching
the list that I created. Hope this helps.

Juliann T. Moskowitz
__________

Here is ours. It may seem very complicated, but we have two libraries for a
PK-12 school.

Maureen S. Irwin, Library Director
_________

There is a convenient one page handout called "How to shelve books" on
page 33 of Library Media Connection January 2004.

Joyce Polucha
___________

When I was teaching student helpers, I had 3 different steps, and relay race
in the middle of them just for fun.  I worked with younger students, though.
  I don't have access to the worksheets any more, but what I did was
photocopy some book spines onto a piece of paper, then list some call
numbers for them to put on the spine labels in order.  The next step was to
have a stack of books at a table for students to organize.

The one step you could use with 9-12 graders, would be having them shelf the
book cart, first.  This I did with my parent volunteers.  All the books that
came in were set on a book cart, and then I explained how to shelf, and had
them organize the book cart, first.  If they could get it right on the book
cart, they were pretty good about getting things right on the floor. . .

Good Luck!

Raynette Schulte
_______________

Dawn, this may be more trouble, but rather than a worksheet I pull 30 - 40
books
from Reference, Non-Fiction, Story Collection and Fiction. I make sure I
include
more than one title for at least one fiction author (as a reminder that if
the
author is the same, order by title) and also that I have a few of the
"tricky"
Dewey numbers (363.5 and 363.23... which comes first? 5 or 23?) Well...
backing
up a little... I have examples of these "rules" written on a laminated
cardstock
that I discuss with them first...

I have the aides take turns putting the books in order; I check them and
talk
about any mistakes; then that one mixes the books up for the next aide.

I think it's more interesting for them to get actual "hands-on" training.
Have
fun with it!

GayLynn Reynolds, Librarian

Spaces