Hello!
I have questions for those of you at schools that use Accelerated Reader.  I'm a
newbie to AR. I'm the new district librarian in a small rural district with 3
buildings.  I'm primarily in the High School. They use AR in our elementary and
middle school buildings, from grades 1-6.

We need to weed some old books from our middle school collection. The Teaching
Assistant in the middle chool is reluctant to discard books because they are AR.
It certainly drives her purchasing decisions.  In discussing this with her, it has
come to light that AR may be mis-utilized in our district.  (Is that a word? It
seems to fit)

Our AR program started with this particular Library assistant. She says that
circulation and readership increased dramatically after she started using AR.  I
cannot disagree.  After a while it spread to more classroom teachers. Now it is
used in grades 2-6.  To my knowledge there is no training, nor agreement about
using it consistently from class to class or grade to grade.  Teachers may choose
to use it as part of a grade, and their methods for acculumulation of points are up
to them.

The library assistants have been purchasing tests from a technology grant. Any
questions teachers have about it, they go to the library assistants. Could this
possibly a good way to use it to its best advantage???

Obviously I don't want to be in charge.  I'm concerned that administering this is
taking time away from more important work in our two libraries, and is not an
effective use of this time.  Do most districts have someone who is charge of AR?

I'm just baffled. I'm meeting with the elementary and middle school principals this
week and I'd love to address this with them.  I don't want to charge in on a white
horse, but I also don't want to see library services negatively impacted by this
program.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with direct AR experience.  I don't
want to start a discussion about the merits of AR.

Susan Waring

District Librarian
Spencer Van Etten Central Schools
607-589-7140 ext 2229