This is a perennial problem: some kids would want to
know the information but others misuse the books. One
reason a lot of us pull the book and put it on our
office shelf and never figure out how to handle it.
Yes, I hope it will be addressed as a behavioral
issue, and also please post a hit.
I had a similar problem with a picture book of WWII
which showed some dead bodies lying on a beach. One
1st grader checked it out, and his mother had a fit
and said she did not want her son checking out those
books. Another 1st grader promptly got his mom to send
a note asking us to check it out to her son, whereupon
he went back to class and did the "I have it and you
can't, haha" thing. I forget how we handled all that
in the end; there didn't seem to be a good answer.
Again, hope the original poster will post a hit.

Mary Walter
formerly at Arlington County Schools, VA
http://kidslearningstuff.blogspot.com

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.