My original post asked for suggestions about books with interesting dedications
and/or stories about interesting book dedications. Following are the responses that
I received. Thanks to all who contributed their ideas, suggestions and stories.

The Mitten by Jan Brett is dedicated to three teachers from this area. [San Jose,
Ca] I used to manage a children's bookstore in Los Gatos, CA and we had frequent
author/illustrator visits. One of the times that Jan visited the three teachers
suggested to her that she look into reillustrating/retelling the traditional Mitten
story since it was in the public domain. The Tresselt version was used but not very
satisfying in its illustrations.  When it came time for Jan to publish the book she
called and got the information about the teachers and dedicated it to them.

Korean Cinderella is dedicated to my daughter. While I was working at the
bookstore, Shirley Climo and Ruth Heller came to do a signing. They were promoting
Egyptian Cinderella at the time. They were chatting about future projects they
wanted to work on together. Shirley said that she wanted to do a Korean Cinderella
but that she was having a hard time finding any Korean versions of the story. She
always does a great deal of research for her stories. I told her that I had one at
home, that my daughter, Sarah (age 11 at the time and at the bookstore), was Korean
and we had purchased the book through our adoption agency. My husband ran home to
get it and loaned it to Shirley who then promised to dedicate the book to Sarah.
Out of the blue about 3 years later she called our home and checked on the spelling
of Sarah's name and then fulfilled her promise by dedicating the book to Sarah.
Sarah learned how to write her name in Korean and has actually signed the book and
shared it with school classes.

Hope these stories are of interest to you. I hope you can find a way of sharing
some of the interesting stories you get!

funny ones in Scieszka's Math curse
I always liked the dedication in "Squids Will Be Squids:" It's for me to  know (Jon
Scieszka) And You to Find Out (Lane Smith)

HIS MOTHER'S NOSE by Peter Maloney & Felicia Zekauskas is a book I do with my 2nd
graders when I want to show them a great dedication. The book is about a little boy
who feels like he is not his own person because everyone says that he has his
mother's nose, his father's eyes, his brother's hair, etc. The authors are a
husband and wife team so they dedicate their book to all their ancestors and
relatives who contributed to their looks and personality. They must mention about
70 people in the dedication. The kids get a big kick out of it.

I love the story Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Pollaco. This book is dedicated
to her fifth grade teacher.

Wild About Books by Judy Sierra and Marc Brown has an interesting dedication in the
back to Dr. Seuss.

My favorite dedication of all time is in Aunt Lulu, by Daniel Pinkwater.It reads,
"to good librarians everywhere." I always point that out to the kids

I had just deleted your e-mail because I didn't know of any titles to suggest for
you.  Then I plucked Eldest off the shelf to take home to my own fifth grade
daughter, and I noticed an interesting Acknowledgment section at the back of the
book in which Christopher Paolini compares his own personal transformation to
Eragon's.  (Paolini's books are probably too high level for most 3rd and 4th
graders, but they may be familiar with the character Eragon just from the movie
previews.)
Please post your hits.  I'd love to see what others suggest

Axle Galench and the Gate of No Return or In Search of Barnsfoggon, both by Rooster
Morris.

Rachel Hinds, Librarian
Carleston Elementary
3010 Harkey Road
Pearland, TX   77584
hindsr@pearlandisd.org
(281)412-1412
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This electronic mail transmission may contain
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION, belonging to the sender, which is legally privileged. The
information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity listed above.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution, use, or taking of any action on reliance of the contents of
this electronically-mailed confidential information is strictly prohibited and may
violate PISD Board policy (legal) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act
(FERPA). If you have received this electronic mail in error, please notify us by
telephone immediately to arrange for return and correction of internal records; in
addition, please delete the original message.