I want to add to Gail's post about incentives. I think it's most important
with elementary age, (probably any age) children to be positive and
encouraging when possible. I'm not one of those who thinks all problems can
be solved with a hug, but my point is this. It is so, so easy to get caught
up in rules, my rules, in our schools and particularly our libraries. And of
course our rules are mostly about what you aren't supposed to do. You can't
do this. This negative approach is insidious. It begins to shape your
interaction with the kids, even though that is the last thing you want or
intended.

Look, I often have a kid sit away from the group for inappropriate behavior
during instruction. The last six weeks of school, I don't let kids with
overdues get books. I do insist on safe and respectful behavior. But I try,
and this is my goal this year, to create a positive culture in my library. I
want my patrons to do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do.
I'm working on monitoring my own interaction with the kids to make sure I'm
setting the right example. I'm too quick with the sarcastic remark, meant in
fun but still too much for what I'm after.

I was visiting a classroom this year when I heard a first grader pop off to
his teacher. She calmly said, "I don't talk to you that way, I don't like it
when you talk to me that way. I don't think that's how we treat each other."
The kid was obviously affected by her approach and quickly assumed the
proper classroom demeanor. Her whole class enjoys a culture of acceptance
and kindness that really bolsters learning. That's what I want!

I really like the idea of a book table that kids can sit at and read while
their classmates check out books. I use my magazine collection for this
purpose. I think our goal has to be for the kids to want to read more, so
they will want to bring back their books. Good luck with this one, getting
kids to return books and participate in new selection. It's a worthy project
for all of us.

Herb Wilburn
NBCT Library Media
http://www.user.shentel.net/hwilburn/herb/herb.htm